Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do you get a stuck fuel filter off?

The car is a 1990 Camry, but I don't think it really matters. The big bolt on the outgoing part of the filter is stuck. In trying to get it off I've actually managed to bend the filter itself. Now it doesn't sit right in its bracket. I don't care if I have to break the bolt or the filter...obviously both are easily replaced. Ideas? Keep in mind, there's fuel in there, so a torch is obviously not an option.How do you get a stuck fuel filter off?Usually these are set up with a dual wrench requirement. I've done a few in Hondas and Toyotas should not be any different. They can be a real hard pain to break loose. What you need to look for is to find the place where the banjo connection and bolt go into, it is squared off to take a wrench. Get a wrench on that and hold it firmly before trying to break the banjo bolt free. It helps a lot ot have a helper hold this while you work the bolt at the top using a socket or box end wrench. Use the longest wrench you can find to do the holding, and as Sarge said, use a pry bar if it helps there. Use a breaker if you have to for the socket work. WATCH THOSE KNUCKLES!!How do you get a stuck fuel filter off?I had that problem on a Honda. Why in the world the Japanese have to over engineer everything is beyond me. A simple fuel filter in the line works great.

Anyway I got a long breaker bar and a 6 point socket and had my son hold the filter bracket with a crow bar so it would not move or bend or break off and finally I got it to break loose.

And that was not the only thing that we had trouble with. LOL

Dang them.How do you get a stuck fuel filter off?Go to a parts store and get a can of %26quot;Blaster%26quot;, then spray away. It's a good product for helping to loosen nuts and bolts that are stuck. Wait a few and try taking it off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment